This four and a half day course introduces a programmer
to the MUMPS language and teaches its effective use
in creating real applications in the VA's VistA setting.
In some areas, MUMPS is like many computer languages,
providing no surprises. In others, however, it can take
a while to get the zen of MUMPS and how
to work with, instead of against, its powerful features.
This course helps the student to eliminate many hours
of trial and error experimentation by providing insights
and many examples from the instructor's many years of
MUMPS programming experience.
Along the way, various programming strategies are
demonstrated and compared to help the student know when
and how to apply them.
In addition to his lively teaching techniques,
Greg uses animated
Flash movies, like the ones shown below, to illustrate
key concepts. These mini-movies help students quickly
grasp the concepts and stay interested in the course.
Don't bring your pillow.
- Elements and grammar of MUMPS
- Data storage in MUMPS
- Details of the MUMPS programming environment
- Common MUMPS programming patterns
- Detailed review of VA programming standards
- MUMPS symbol table management strategies
- Advanced data storage and retrieval strategies
- Indirection and its effective use
- Modular programming in MUMPS
- Using VistA libraries
- Review of best practices in production MUMPS programs
Daily, extensive hands-on exercises give students ample
opportunity to absorb the course content. Students are
encouraged to take their assignment applications back
to their site for further experimentation.
Contact us today
to schedule this course.
Students should have enough exposure to programming
that they are at ease with fundamental computer
programming concepts (algorithms, modular/component
design, flow of execution control, etc.).
Students are encouraged to become familiar with
the fundamentals of the VPE
binder of lessons will be provided.
For virtual classes, headsets will also be provided to permit participation with the instructor and other students.
||On-site class: Mon-Thu 8am - 5pm, Fri 8am - noon
Virtual class: Five full days and may have slightly shifted start and end times to accomodate the spread of times zones of the students.
- Projector displaying instructor's computer on a screen.
- Paper Flip Chart
- A VistA training account, accessible from classroom PCs, where students can do exercises. This account must include recently patched Kernel, Fileman and VPE. To maximize the learning experience, it is highly recommended that VistA clinical applications also be installed in the account as a source of code examples.
- Each student should have their own PC/terminal and unique access and verify codes to the training account. Students must have access to programmer mode after logging in.
$995 per student (on-site* or virtual)
Purchase Orders, Government purchase cards and
major credit cards accepted.
Payment and Registration Policies
* The class size minimum typically covers the instructor's travel costs, but we reserve the right to quote an additional fee for high travel cost areas, such as New York, San Francisco, etc.
||Fifteen student minimum. Falling short of the minimum? Contact us for details on hosting an on-site class that permits others to attend to meet class size minimums. You can also set up a virtual class.
BACK TO TOP