The File Manager is a rich user
and programmer environment that requires dedication
to master, as many can attest. This richness was greatly
expanded by the advanced features of MUMPS that opened
the door to a whole new way for programmers to use File
Manager. The Database Server APIs (DBS) use parameter
passing to provide silent interactions with a File Manager
database. These APIs are essential when working towards
encapsulated designs that separate the user interface
from the underlying database and logic.
This week-long course lifts the
lid to a treasure chest of legal, but lesser known features
in File Manager that can greatly enhance the design
and usability of a VistA application. Advanced MUMPS
features are also introduced to prepare the student
for their introduction to using the File Manager DBS
In addition to his lively teaching techniques,
Greg uses animated
Flash movies, like the ones shown below, to illustrate
key concepts. These mini-movies help students quickly
grasp the concepts and stay interested in the course.
Don't bring your pillow.
Advanced File Manager:
- Error Processing
- Parameters Passing (Call-by-Value and Call-by-Reference)
- Do Blocks, safe IF and ELSE
- Advanced Commands and Functions
- Indirection, Pattern Match and Sorts After
- Computed Expressions and Functions
- Advanced Features:
- Pre-Lookup Transform
- Dynamic LAYGO and Deletion control
- Input and Output Transform
- Universal Screen
- Keys and Compound Cross-references
- Database Server (DBS)
- Concept and Conventions
- Most Commonly used DBS APIs
- Transitioning to Transactions
To increase retention of the materials,
time is reserved for hands-on activity as students build
their own FM-based application in typical VistA style.
Students are encouraged to take their assignment applications
back to their site for further experimentation.
Contact us today
to schedule this course.
- Basic Computer Programming concepts (IF/ELSE,
Looping, Structure, etc.)
- Basic MUMPS skills (Read, Write, Do, create
and debug routines, create and access globals,
- User File Manager skills (Enter/Edit, Print,
- Programmer File Manager
skills (FM data structures, calls to DIC, DIE,
binder of lessons will be provided.
For virtual classes, headsets will also be provided to permit participation with the instructor and other students.
||On-site class: Mon-Thu 8am - 5pm, Fri 8am - noon
Virtual class: Five full days and may have slightly shifted start and end times to accomodate the spread of times zones of the students.
- Projector displaying instructor's computer on a screen.
- Paper Flip Chart
- A VistA training account, accessible from classroom PCs, where students can do exercises. This account must include recently patched Kernel, Fileman and VPE. To maximize the learning experience, it is highly recommended that VistA clinical applications also be installed in the account as a source of code examples.
- Each student should have their own PC/terminal and unique access and verify codes to the training account. Students must have access to programmer mode after logging in.
$995 per student (on-site* or virtual)
Purchase Orders, Government purchase cards and
major credit cards accepted.
Payment and Registration Policies
* The class size minimum typically covers the instructor's travel costs, but we reserve the right to quote an additional fee for high travel cost areas, such as New York, San Francisco, etc.
||Fifteen student minimum. Falling short of the minimum? Contact us for details on hosting an on-site class that permits others to attend to meet class size minimums. You can also set up a virtual class.
BACK TO TOP